Employee Wellness Solutions
Jennifer Van Cott
Why You Need Healthy (and happy) Employees!
Employee health and well-being is crucial to business productivity. Medical costs have gone through the roof and what once was a relatively inexpensive benefit is now a staggering cost. Businesses that take on self-insurance or even third party insurers are in above their heads. Premiums are based directly on claims experience and it only takes one catastrophe to send premiums through the roof!
Not to mention, most insurance companies have began to drop claims that relate to workplace illness and disease, which makes it even more important than ever to support the health of your loyal employees. On a positive note, however, insurance companies are also giving credits to those businesses that do take an interest in their employee’s health. So, not only can you save money in the long run by having less claims and increased productivity, but also you can see the financial benefits almost immediately through incentives from your insurance carrier.
FACTS ABOUT NEW HEALTHCARE POLICIES/CARRIERS
- Premera Bluecross is offering a new small-group wellness incentive that can provide a 7.5 percent rate discount if employees sign up to participate in wellness activities and screening.
- Spouses are no longer automatically covered at their place of work
- Increased wellness program incentives from 20 percent to 30 percent of the cost of health coverage – most insurance carriers
- Under the health care law, many insurers are required to cover certain preventive services at no cost to you – blood pressure and cholesterol tests, diet planning, diabetes counseling, etc.
The cost of a health-focused program of this nature is very low compared to the cost of treating the disease and physical conditions that result from risky behavior. Corporations should take responsibility to assure that the workplace is healthy and that corporate processes, procedures, and practices promote personal health. It not only reduces actual costs, but this sign of a caring corporation delivers tremendous benefits of loyal and dependable employees.
Benefits of Wellness Programs
- Weight reduction
- Improved physical fitness
- Increased stamina
- Lower levels of stress
- Increased well-being, self-image and self-esteem
- Enhanced recruitment and retention of healthy employees
- Reduced healthcare costs
- Decreased rates of illness and injuries
- Reduced employee absenteeism
- Improved employee relations and morale
- Increased productivity
A U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report in 2002 revealed that at worksites with physical activity programs, employers have:
- Reduced healthcare costs by 20 to 55 percent
- Reduced short-term sick leave by six to 32 percent
- Increased productivity by two to 52 percent
JVC Wellness Health Solutions
JVC Wellness encourages employees to take a proactive interest in their own health. They are “coached” in developing a health management plan that includes those routine screenings and examinations that catch serious illness before it is catastrophic. They are encouraged with healthy habits — nutrition, exercise, and stress management — that are proven to reduce the incidence and severity of medical problems. We will create, support, and manage wellness and fitness programs for your organization. This will increase retain valued employees, raise morale and productivity, and reduce absenteeism. In a one, three, or multiple-part series we will examine the factors that contribute to a healthy lifestyle and how it can help improve performance in a multitude of ways.
–> The one-hour workshop series will focus on and include the following:
- Unique promotional materials and marketing to encourage participation
- Monthly educational newsletters with helpful tips
- Goal setting and assessment
- Weight management
- Stress management
- Exercise/challenge programs
- Proper sleep – tips, techniques
Other Health Solutions include:
▪ Health screening encouragement and analysis
▪ Wellness programs that maximize productivity and reduce healthcare expenses
▪ Incentive programs to support healthy behavior change
▪ Establish program goals and track progress
▪ Recipes, food samples
▪ Grocery shopping/label analysis
▪ Unlimited access to your coach through email
▪ Health Coaching
▪ $250 per one 1-hour workshop (<50 employees)
▪ $500 for three-part series, 1-hour workshops (<50 employees)
▪ **Call for Annual Program Pricing